Monday, March 16, 2020
Ben Watt with Robert Wyatt "Summer Into Winter" (Cherry Red 1982).
Record Store Day 2020:
"Turquoise Transparent Vinyl cut at 45 RPM Ben Watt's collaboration with Robert Wyatt originally released as an EP in March 1982.Remastered at Abbey Road Studios and reissued for Record Store Day 2020.This critically acclaimed Cherry Red classic has not been available on vinyl for over thirty years.This exclusive Record Store Day reissue comes printed on reverse board on turquoise transparent vinyl.This exclusive Record Store Day reissue is released with the full endorsement of Ben Watt and will follow his brand new album 'Storm Damage' in January 2020".
In memory of Daevid Allen. Five years gone.
Daevid Allen Trio "Live 1963" (Voiceprint 1993). Daevid Allen, Robert Wyatt, Hugh Hopper with Mike Ratledge.
(This is a re-post. I deleted the original (posted 13 March) by accidence).
Monday, March 9, 2020
Wednesday, February 5, 2020
Citizen Bravo, Raymond MacDonald and Friends "Return To Y’Hup: The World of Ivor Cutler" (Chemical Underground 2020).
This one has been mentioned earlier in the blog, but now the record is in the house, and there is even a Robert Wyatt Track! It´s 24 seconds long too!
Here is the full wonderful tracklist:
1. Here’s A Health For Simon
2. Latitude and Longitude (with Phyllis King)
3. Size Nine And A Half (with Emma Pollock)
4. Mary’s A Cow (with Malcolm Benzie)
5. Instance The Yam (with Alex Kapranos)
6. Pickle Your Knees (with Karine Polwart)
7. Gravity Begins At Home (with Rick Redbeard)
8. A Cowpuncher And A Bird (with Zoe Graham)
9. Boo Boo Bird (with Heather Leigh)
10. Vitamin P (with Duglas T. Stewart)
11. Green Rain (with Sarah Hayes)
12. A Tooth Song (with Adam Stafford)
13. Sh Chi (with Stuart Murdoch)
14. Women Of The World (with Tracyanne Campbell)
15. A Real Man (with James Yorkston)
16. Yellow Fly (with Kris Drever)
18. The Path (with Stuart Braithwaite)
19. Muscular Tree (with Megan Airlie)
20. Who Tore Your Trousers James? (with Rachel Sermanni and Chris Thomson)
21. I Got No Common Sense
22. When I Stand On An Open Cart (with Kapil Seshasayee)
23. I Believe In Bugs (with Jo Mango)
24. Good Morning! How Are You? Shut Up! (with Pictish Trail)
25. Out Of Decency (with Robert Wyatt)
26. Beautiful Cosmos (with Anna Miles)
Tuesday, February 4, 2020
This sweet little book arrived in the mail yesterday: Ivor Cutler "Y´Hup" (Goldsmiths 2018).
From the Colophon: "Published on the occasion of Good Morning! How Are You? Shut Up!, an exhibition of Ivor Cutler´s archive at Goldsmiths CCA, London, 1st October - 4th November 2018".
It contains pictures, drawings, posters, lyrics and letters and also the written pieces:
- Sarah McCrory introduction
- Robert Wyatt on Ivor Cutler
- Dan Fox "The Unbearable Lightness of Ivory Cutlery.
Sunday, February 2, 2020
Friday, January 31, 2020
Uncut magazine has a fine piece on Robert Wyatt (and Alfie) in their March issue 2020:
"I´m so somewhere else now..." (Uncut 274 March 2020 pp 56 - 61).
The focus is on history, stories and daily life, but there are also some great news: Faber will publish Robert Wyatt and Alfreda Benge´s collected lyrics this year, with introduction written by Jarvis Cocker!
Jarvis Cocker: "His version of Chic´s "At Last I´m Free" is amazing! I was DJing in Cologne once and we´d been told we had to stop, so I put that track on, thinking, "It´s quite mellow, so that´ll be the end of the party". But it was a lovely moment - all these people in Germany at three o´clock in the morning singing a Robert Wyatt song at the top of their lungs". Now that´s Wyatting!
Tuesday, January 28, 2020
I´m not the kind of person that play the same records over and over again during a short period of time, but I have to admit that I have had a crush on "Cuckooland" (2003) this January!
What a great album!
Play it today!
Happy 75th birthday to Robert!!!
Wednesday, January 15, 2020
Here is a Cherry Red compilation (3xCD) that might interest you:
"Further Perspectives & Distortion – An Encyclopedia Of British Experimental And Avante-Garde Music 1976-1984" (Cherry Red Records 2019).
You will even find a Robert Wyatt track in there: "Rangers in the night", previously released on "Miniatures (A Sequence Of Fifty-One Tiny Masterpieces Edited By Morgan-Fisher)" (Pipe 1980).
Full track list (and an order button) right here.