Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Moe: It pictures


Moe is Guro Skumsnes Moe (bass, voc), Håvard Skaset (g) and Sveinar Hoff (dr). This is a powertrio, more focused on power than melodies, and they smell of both punk and metal.
I heard them at the Nattjazz festival in Bergen this June, but they did not get to me that evening. The music was too loud and monotonous for my old pair of ears. The album "It Pictures" (Conrad Sound 2011) is still not one that make you hum along to it, but the music is far more open and alive than what I heard at Nattjazz.
On the album Okkyung Lee (cello) (played in Bergen too), Lasse Marhaug ("acoustic noise") and Kjetil Møster (sax) are guesting. On "Island" Møster is honking along, making me think of Morphine (the band of course).

Guro Skumsnes Moe has visited Wyatt and Stuff several times. See posts on Art Directors (Håvard Skaset plays there too) and Sekstett.

The CD was released in May, and now they also sell (don´t ask me where) 300 copies of a black vinyl LP version and 200 copies of a blue one. Also files on eMusic and iTunes. Buy if you dare.
Listen to some tracks over at SoundCloud.

No comments: