Sunday, August 26, 2007

It's not easy being negative


As you may have noticed, this is a positive blog. I write about stuff i like (mostly). Yesterday I thought enough is enough, and decided to get tough, and pick out four lousy albums with Robert Wyatt on them! After giving it some thought though, let's settle for four albums I seldom play. OK?
- David Bedford And Kevin Ayers: "The Garden of Love" from 1970. The line-up is incredible with David Bedford, Mike Oldfield, Robert Wyatt, Kevin Ayers, Lol Coxhill, a classical quintet and six beautiful girls dancing and turning pages!I think it's supposed to be a little free jazz in there (sorry Lol, I don't mean to say you can't do it) and after almost 20 minutes we get Kevin Ayers singing William Blake, and then it's over.
- The Amazing Band: "Roar" (1970). Mal Dean, Valeroy Spall, Mick Brannan, Maia Spall, Chris Francis, Jim Mullen og Robert Wyatt. It's jazzy and noisy, but you don't need this because of Wyatt.
- Jo Fletcher: "Jo Fletcher" (2003). Here we find Robert Wyatt in a strange pop-americana setting. You may be able to hear him in the background.
- Lucky Scars: "Fish out of water" (1994). Wyatt says on the cover "--it would be enjoyable even if the content didn't matter". I think this one was in support of people with different handicaps. I just have to confess I liked this record now! I would almost classify it as an indie-album, and Robert Wyatt is scatting away!
There you have it, it's not easy being negative.

No comments: