Tuesday, February 24, 2015

BMX: Rozel Point



I know I´m getting older and slower, but it will be hard to find a good excuse to have totally missed out on the Bergen band BMX´s great second album "Rozel Point" (Øyvind Jazzforum) that was released almost exactly one year ago!

BMX is Njål Ølnes (sax), Thomas T. Dahl (g) (with Mats Eilertsen), Øyvind Skarbø (dr) (with 1982) and Per Jørgensen (tp, voc) (with Jøkleba).

You get seven improvised pieces and two composed, the composed ones being a beautiful version of Carla Bley´s "Jesus Maria" and Njål Ølnes´ "Joey´s Spring" that is supposed to be loosely based on a composition by Olivier Messiaen. I´ll just take their word for that.

I might hear a touch of Miles and a nod to Jøkleba, but most of all BMX music. And that´s fine!
Seek this one out! I haven´t got the CD yet, but the album is at least on iTunes, eMusic and Spotify.

Recorded by Jan Erik Kongshaug.

No comments: