Sunday, August 30, 2009

VINYL



Lydgalleriet (The Sound Gallery) in Bergen started their autumn season this weekend. The first exhibition focus on vinyl records, and the artists presented are Christian Marclay (vinyl on the floor picture), Flo Kaufmann (the man with the recording booth), Doug Pray, Janek Schaefer and Otomo Yoshihide.
I heard a great concert with Yoshihide at the Molde International Jazz Festival this summer, but at Lydgalleriet they screen a video where he´s really rough on the vinyl! Cool to look at and listen to, but keep this guy at good distance from my record collection. (Watch a presentation of Otomo Yoshihide on YouTube).
Flo Kaufmann let me start my career as a recording artist, with a version of "Free Will and Testament" (Hey, remember Elvis started this way too!, with another song that is). My record is a one copy only output, and must be one of the rarest Robert Wyatt covers ever. It is a vocal version with a friend of mine doing the chorus, and I´m sad to say you may also hear some blabbering from a stressed debut artist. Better listen to the real deal.

No comments: