Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Supersilent and Golden Serenades


The last couple of days I have bought two organ albums, a pretty unusual thing for me to do. Now if there are organ purists out there (feel free to comment), I’m not sure they will jump from joy after hearing these ones.

Supersilent dress up in turquoise this year, for the album “9” (Rune Grammofon 2009). Supersilent is Arve Henriksen, Ståle Storløkken and Helge Sten, and if Storløkken is master of the keyboards on the other albums, they all play hammond organ here, and nothing else. Minimalistic as always they call their tunes 9.1, 9.2, 9.3 and 9.4, and offer close to nothing on Kim Hiorthøy’s cover. On track 9.2 they kick up some loud music, but the rest of the album is (super)silent. Imaging passing a church while walking at night, and you hear somebody playing inside. It sounds a bit like that (not that I hang around churches at night). And, yes, it’s quite spooky too.


Golden Serenades is John Hegre and Jørgen Træen. They sometimes ruin expensive guitars, but on ”Hammond Pops” (+3dB 2009) they have chosen to make som serious noise from Sigbjørn Apeland’s organ music instead. Strange thing, as i copied my CD, iTunes claimed my CD was played by Leon Russell! I don’t think so.

”9” and ”Hammond Pops” are strange and pretty tiresome albums. I suggest you check them out.

No comments: