Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Maijazz 2008


The Maijazz jazz festival in Stavanger is scheduled for 6-11 May. They have a lot of great artists coming, like Jan Garbarek, Andy Sheppard, Wayne Shorter, John Scofield and more, but what surprised me was that Oregon was still going strong (and obviously have for a long time!). I liked this band a lot in the 70s (that's the 1970s!), and my vinyl albums may have been exposed to some red wine (they sound like it at least). I found my Winter Consort album too (no mess around here!), the band where the guys played before Oregon. Will anybody get angry if I call this hippie jazz? The band is now Ralph Towner - guitar, Paul McCandless – oboe and saxophone, Glen Moore – bass and Mark Walker - drums. Original percussion player was Colin Walcott, who died in 1984.

No comments: