Monday, November 5, 2012

Bobby Bradford et al: Kampen


Please check out this band:
Bobby Bradford - cornet
Frode Gjerstad - clarinets and alto sax
Ingebrigt Håker Flaten - bass
Paal Nilssen-Love - drums

Both the band, and each of the musicians, have visited the blog several times of course, and now they are back with a new album named "Kampen", on NoBusiness (Lithuania).

What you get is probably free jazz, but it sounds pretty straightforward too. Think Ornette Coleman, who Bobby Bradford played with.
You may have noticed that I never (seldom?) pretend to be much of a music expert, outside of being a fan ("great album" style), but here I must be allowed to at least say that the interaction between the musicians is fantastic!

The music was recorded live during Kampenjazz in Oslo, november 2010, and "Kampen" is the name of an area in Oslo (in case you wonder).

300 copies of "Kampen" were made, only on vinyl and (unfortunately) no download codes given away. I had my copy in my house in Bergen less than a week after I ordered it, and that´s impressive!

The naming of the tracks is my kind of humor:
1: This is
2: A live
3: Recording from
4: Kampen, Oslo

Cover design: Dansas Mikailionis

Let me also remind you of the album "Reknes" by the same musicians (Circulasione Totale 2009), recorded at the Reknes club at Moldejazz 2008 and "Dragon" by Bradford, Gjerstad and Nilssen-Love (PNL Records 2012). The last one was recorded at Klub Drago in Poznan (Poland) a couple of days prior to "Kampen". Buy all of them!

No comments: