Wednesday, August 4, 2010

…AND POPPIES FROM KANDAHAR


I´m a bit late with Jan Bang´s "...And Poppies From Kandahar" (Samadhisound, May 2010), but I promise you, it has been on heavy rotation on my Ipod this summer.
It is a fantastic album, and deserves a place on the shelf among albums by the musicians on the album, like Nils Petter Molvær, Arve Henriksen, Sidsel Endresen and Jon Hassell! These are all artists he has worked with earlier too.

I just steal this from Samadhisound´s site on how Bang is composing : “As I often do, I started working on instrumentals which I then presented to the musician that I thought might benefit the track – not unlike the process of making the Cartography album with Arve. … I knew I wanted to write music that had references to my influences, but where I could use my own dialect. I wanted to work with both composition and improvisation on an equal level – using contrasting forms, different dimensions, randomness, parallel directions which weren’t necessarily meant to express anything specific other than to work within the frame of the piece itself.”

David Sylvian wrote the titles for the music, and they make a story for the soundtrack:

1. The Drug Mule
2. Self Injury
3. The Midwife’s Dilemma
4. Passport Control
5. Who Grooms The Child?
6. Heidegger’s Silence
7. Abdication And Coronation
8. Suicide Bomber
9. Taking Life
10. Ululations
11. Exile From Paradise

No comments: